(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

board#117: shortboard for David


Dimensions: 6'4 x 21 1/4 x 2 3/4
[completed in December 2015]

The story: David is a returning customer! He owns Board#093 [click here to see it], a shortboard for winter swells. Soon, David also wanted a summer board, for weaker swell. We sat down at the iCafe (the cafeteria at Illumina where we both work ;)), browsed the web and imagined his next shortboard. 

The shape: I based my outline on a mix of the Average Joe and Puddle Jumper from Lost per David's request. It is definitely one of my favorite part of the process: mismatching tails/noses from different templates! I didn't forgot to keep more volume and shape a generous rocker as requested by the rider.

The artwork: This artwork was probably one of the most challenging in Mere-Made history for two reasons: first, the original idea submitted by David was... "interesting". It was a dog with an aurora in the background. I was not very fan but David sent me a file with the artwork and said it was designed by a very good friend. Even without totally embracing the style, I was ready to commit to have it done because of all the work behind it from his friend... However the technical realization was so complex at the glass shop that it would have cost too much money without achieving exactly what the idea was. I gave up. I said I could not do it. I hated doing that but I had no choice. David was super cool about it (I am so grateful to have great customers!). We sat down again at the iCafe and revisited the artwork. He really wanted that dog which I understood the significance only afterwards (#dogmeme #shibedog) but he agreed to go for a more simpler/stylized style. It was a compromised we were both happy to make. Life is full of compromises!


Paul and David, two of my Illumina co-workers and friends!







here it is !!! the famous shibe dog!!!







1 comment: