(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, October 9, 2016

board#118: mini-malibu for Laura



Dimensions: 7'0 x 21 1/4 x 2 1/2
[completed in December 2015]
Model Valerie

The story: Laura is an Orange County surfer which I met through the surf group she is part of: the Wahine Kai Surf girls. I got my dear friend Michelle in this group who has been riding my longboards for a while and spread the good word about my boards [board#008 and board#055]. And this is how Laura decided to order a mini-malibu from me. She is more of a shortboard surfer girl but she needed a longer board for the weaker swells, without compromising too much on the performance. She tried my personal board and that was the model she picked for her first Mere-Made surfboard!

The shape:  When Laura asked this model it was just perfect because she and I share the same body weight and surf level. So I basically shaped that board like if it was for me which makes the work so much easier! Very thin mini-malibu with pinched rails and deep channels = the formula for a very fast  and manoeuvrable mini-malibu. I called it "my long shortboard" :)

The artwork: Laura already made my life easy by asking for my favorite shape and she was also very cool about the artwork: "anything would do". She was not picky. After sending a couple of pictures and color ideas, we locked down a modern geometrical design. Very Mere-Made-like!

The testimonial: I was in the water with Laura when she took her first wave with it. The waves were decent that day (4-6 foot range) and a shortboard would have been more appropriate but Laura took very nice rides and I was so stoked to witness that!





Laura with her nephew
first wax.....



No comments:

Post a Comment