(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Sunday, November 6, 2016

board#120: longboard for the Camp Pendleton Surf Club

Colin (on the left) with nephew
welcoming the Marines' board

Dimensions: 8'0 x 22 1/4 x 2 3/4
[completed in January 2016]
Model Vim

The story: such a great story behind that surfboard and an example of why I am so passionate about making custom surfboards! One day I receive a message through FB Messenger from Colin Cooper who is an officer at the Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton. He said the base's surf club (Camp Pendleton Surfclub) was looking for a "commemorative" surfboard which would be mainly on display for memorial events (at the main Marine Corps based in the US!!!) and surfed only in official paddle-outs. This board would display the logo/motto of the Marines... I was in shock by such an honor and I asked him "why me"? Colin said they considered a couple of shapers but my surfboards stood out for having the most soul. I was in deeper shock and, of course,  I accepted this very special order right away. 

The shape: I met Colin in person to discuss the details of the shape. Even though it was mainly a display board I told him I want to board to be fully ridable. We decided on a classic egg/longboard shape which coule be easy to paddle during memorial paddle outs. 

The artwork: it was not very long before Colin and I figured out the board would be all black with white Marines logo (printed by Boardlams). I painted the foam in black and asked Global Glassing to apply an opaque black resin tint on top  with a polish finish. The result was mind-blowing. One of my favorite board in terms of aesthetic and meaning.

Thank you Colin for the opportunity!

















No comments:

Post a Comment