(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Thursday, January 5, 2017

board#123: shortboard for Danielle


Danielle with her new shortboard

Dimensions: 6'2 x 23 x 2 3/4
[completed in April 2016]
Model Volute

The story: I am the one who contacted Danielle. I found her art on FB, randomly. Her artist name was Mermamamigration and her art centered around the Ocean, including mermaids!... Of course she was a surfer and I wrote to her : "we are meant to collaborate".  Shortly after we met in person and we decided to make a surfboard together: I would be the shaper, she would be the guest artist. 

The shape: Danielle wanted a shorter board than her 7'2 to have a more "performance" board. The challenge was to keep enough volume to be able to ride in most of the conditions in SoCal without losing to much of the "fast board" characteristic. Also keeping a bit of rocker for bigger days. I based my shape on the Average Joe board from Lost with a squash tail and round rails. I put my single to double concave signature for speed.

The artwork: I was so pleased to have Danielle work on her board. A real painter ! I just gave her recommendations about what the foam and resin can handle in term of paint and quantity. I handed her the shaped blank and she did her magic. When she brought the board back for glassing I was totally in love with what she did: ocean creatures floating in teal/blue waters. Everything I would liken my own board! I am so happy our project resulted in such a cool piece of art she can surf whenever she feels like shortboarding!

painted foam before glass (artwork by Danielle)

painted foam before glass (artwork by Danielle)

Danielle signing her art !!






No comments:

Post a Comment