(Photo: Laurent Chantegros)
I LOVE shaping surfboards and I'm kinda obsessed with this craft. Even though I am about to shape my 243th board I'm still considering myself as a novice but I hope to become a master one day... This blog is a virtual portfolio and a diary of my journey in the shaping world. Feel free to leave comments or contact me directly at valerie@meremadesurfboards.com.

Valerie Duprat
-Shaper of Mère-Made Surfboards

Saturday, October 7, 2017

board#130: noserider for Ashley




Dimensions: 9'2 x 22 x 2 5/8
[completed in June 2016]
Model Velzy

The story: Ashley contacted me via email. No common friends. She was looking for her next board, tailored for her by a local female shaper. She found me and I was glad she did since shaping for surfer girls is why I got into that "business" for ! To share the stoke with my fellow surf mates !

The shape: A traditional noserider, square tail, single fin... perfect for her local californian breaks! It was the longest board I ever shaped in my shaping room : 9'2 !!! I had to use some energy to turn the board around to make sure the part I was shaping was always in the right lights. Some parts I had to shape the door opened!

The artwork: I had to challenge my poor drawing skills to pull off a hand painted ocean kelp design. A lot of work but it is so gratifying to hand off a board which was both hand-shaped AND hand-painted!





No comments:

Post a Comment